Tips for Gardening on your Balcony
May 24, 2018
You don’t have to have a lavish backyard to have a beautiful garden. In fact, many condos in Wayzata MN have balconies that provide the perfect space to grow a garden. This space can be intimate, stunning, and fruitful. Read below for tips on starting a successful balcony garden.
- Decide on what type of garden you would like – Do you want to grow veggies and herbs to cook, flowers to add splashes of color to your balcony, or shrubbery? Whatever you choose make sure you keep your garden simple enough so that you can maintain it and you won’t get overwhelmed.
- How big is your balcony? – The weight of your planters, containers, and water will add up. Ensure your balcony can hold your garden. You should also check with building management to ensure there are no regulations you need to follow if you live in an apartment, condo, or townhome.
- Where direction does the sun come from? – Find out where the sunlight comes from and how much the space gets. From there you can map out and decide where you want everything to go.
- Purchase plants that will survive in your area – Not every plant will thrive in Minnesota weather. Plants such as black-eyed Susan’s, butterfly weed, coneflowers, and daylilies to goldenrod, peony, poppy, Russian sage, Virginia bluebells and yarrow fare really well in Minnesota climate. You should also pick plants that will thrive according to the particular season you’re in and how much sunlight your balcony gets. Will you need more shade tolerant plants or should you select those that need direct sunlight? Your local nursery should also be able to give you tips on what is best for your outdoor garden and pots that are good to use for your balcony garden.
- Add holes – If your container pots do not have holes in them you should add a drain hole to them. You’ll want to make sure the water drains properly and air is available for the roots.
- Use healthy soil – This is vital in having a successful garden. Choose a soil that will allow your garden to grow and will provide good drainage for your plants.
- Stick to your budget – Believe it or not, a garden isn’t necessarily a cheap project to start. Set a budget and select plants, flowers, seeds, containers, and accessories that will allow you to stick to your budget.
- Enjoy your garden – Planting your garden should be fun, enjoyable, and something your family and condos in Wayzata MN neighbors can join you in. Watch your garden grow, change, and become more than what you’ve imagined. Don’t forget to take photos of the process and how your garden develops.
We would like to hear from you. What tips do you have for gardening on your balcony? What did you plant? Let us know in the comment section.Tags: homebuilder wayzata mn, luxury condos in wayzata mn, new luxury condominium project for sale in wayzata Minnesota, townhomes for sale wayzata mn
Categorised in: Community Info, Decorating Tips, Design Tips, Market Tips, Things To Do
This post was written by Meyer Place at Ferndale